What does the Lieutenancy do?
The Lord-Lieutenant, whose primary duty is to uphold the dignity of the Crown, is Her Majesty's personal representative in the county and among her many functional duties are:
- Arranging and accompanying Royal visits to West Sussex.
- Presenting medals, Queen's Awards and other commendations.
- Maintaining links with the armed forces and the emergency services.
- Leading the magistracy and the Advisory Committee on Justices of the Peace.
- Advising on nominations for honours.
- Conveying congratulatory messages from Her Majesty The Queen.
West Sussex is a busy lieutenancy where the Lord-Lieutenant, her deputies and the High Sheriff are constantly working for the benefit of the county and its people.